Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pageviews, Surveys, Epic Poop

I'm at almost 500 page views, woohoo!  For currently being a blog I'm writing for myself, family, and close friends, I am pretty happy about this.  Also this is post #31,  here's to hoping for more page views and many more posts more often!

My work has been really pushing for everyone to fill out our optional employee satisfaction survey.  Apparently the powers that be have been pushing management quite a bit to get as many employees to fill out the survey as possible.  The front page of the survey makes it clear that it is both optional and you will not be subject to any negative consequences for not filling out the optional survey.  Ugh!  Anyways, I filled out my survey because I am hopeful that maybe my opinion will actually mean something.  In general I think they asked us some pretty good questions, but at the end they let you leave your own comments.  I guess they only want to hear so much from you though, because they limit how much you can write.  I had 4 main points I wanted to get across.

1-We need more budget hours.  We offer lots of great services for our patients, but our hours have been slashed a shocking amount.  The majority of the time we just don't have the time to take to offer and explain services, etc. to the patients.  We are too busy doing our normal work, and we fall behind on that daily
2- Our dress code.  About a year and a half ago our company decided to change our attire from business casual to scrubs.  I think they are trying to make us look more medical than we actually are.  I think it just looks sloppy.  I feel like I am wearing pajamas to work every day and not in a good way.
3-Advancement within the company.  I wish there were more opportunities, well any, for advancement.  There is if I want to go back to school for several years, but I don't want to do what I would have to go to school for.  (Nicely vague huh?)  I have been working at my current job for just over 8 years.  I hit as far as I could go 5 years ago.  Back then there were higher positions I could strive for, but they eliminated that a few years ago in another one of their many budget cuts.  (Which makes me even angrier about our large amount of Super Bowl Ads in 2011).
4-Pay Increase.  I understand that I didn't go to school to do my job (some states do require this though).  In my department there are 2 levels of workers.  Those "professionals" who went to school to learn this.  They are considered in charge, they are much more medically knowledgeable, and are legally allowed to counsel patients, and review everything that the people on my level do.  We do A LOT though.  We handle the majority of patient interactions, fill hundreds of orders a day, do a lot of inventory work, etc...  But there is an enormous pay gap.  So much so, that I honestly don't think my pay will cover my long term goals of being able to buy a bigger car when we decide to expand our family and eventually buy a house.

A lot of this adds up to a nice realization that this isn't the type of job you can consider a career.  Unless a lot of things change, eventually I am going to have to find something better or go back to school, or both.  (Although the outlook for current college grads seems pretty bleak.  Huge student loan debt and small job prospects.)

Last Thursday I was having a pretty stressful day at work.  At least I thought I was until I called John while on my lunch break.  Our a/c had been out for several days and it was wicked hot in our apartment.  We had been putting the boys to bed in just t-shirts because of the heat.  Well when John went in to get the boys out of bed he discovered that Oliver had managed to take his diaper off.  When he walked in Oliver was in the process of peeing on his bed.  Apparently there was also poop everywhere.  We had to strip his bed, wash his favorite teddy bear, sanitize his crib, and give him a bath.  Poor John got the brunt of it, and I guess it was pretty awful.  I can only imagine, oh man.  It made my bad day at work seem not so bad.  To make matters worse Oliver did this on the morning the landlord came over to fix the a/c!  

No comments:

Post a Comment