Sunday, November 18, 2012

We Made An Apple Pie!

A few weeks ago I came across my special pie apples at the store, woohoo!  It isn't very often during the fall season that I come across these particular apples.  So when I find them I buy them pretty much immediately and bake them into a super yummy pie.  I will only use McIntosh or Cortland apples for my pie.  According to my mum, the pie expert, those are the best kind of apples for pie.  You can find these apples all over the place in New England where I grew up, but in the Midwest, well not so much.  So to me it's a pretty big deal when I find them.

After buying a bunch of Cortland apples and everything else I needed at the store, I was ready to bake a pie!  As you can see from the photos I used a Pillsbury pie crust.  Mum advised me that even though I could make my own crust, and she has before, the Pillsbury is pretty much just as good and a whole lot easier to work with.  I love things that are both yummy and easy!  Although she did say, don't buy the off brand, it's worth it to buy Pillsbury.

The boys "helped" me make the pie, they were pretty cute, and we all had a lot of fun.  The boys enjoyed eating apple pieces while I peeled, cored, and sliced the apples.  Oliver helped me out with the pie crust and throwing stuff in the trash.  Owynn held the measuring cup while I measured out the sugar.  Owynn kept sticking his fingers in the sugar and eating it, he really enjoyed that!  Then while I was spooning the filling into the crust the boys kept stealing apple slices out of the pie.  They really had a fun time helping me with the pie.  I really loved it too, and it brought back memories from when I was growing up "helping" my mum bake apple pie.  Our pie turned out absolutely perfect and was super delicious!  It did not last very long here.


Oliver and Owynn.  Please ignore my messy table.

Oliver

Owynn

Our delicious finished apple pie

Owynn really enjoyed eating his pie!

Oliver refused to smile for me.  Eating apple pie is very serious business!

 

2 comments:

  1. Awww! I'm so glad the boys loved your apple pie. I bet it was delicious! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely scrumptious! Can the boys come help me make my apple pie on Wednesday? Apparently Princess Nagger only wants to help with the pumpkin pie, and says I'm on my own for the apple. ;)

    ReplyDelete