Saturday, April 6, 2013

Homemade BBQ Chicken

Last week I made some homemade BBQ Chicken and salad for dinner.  For the salad I just threw together some romaine lettuce, bacon bits, red onion, croutons, and a shredded white cheese blend.  I topped it with the special house dressing from Olive Garden which we found at Sam's Club (score!).  The Olive Garden salad at home has been a big hit.  Lately we have been giving the boys a small salad of their own and they actually ask for more!




I made my BBQ Chicken in the crock-pot and it was super easy.  I know for some this may be pretty self-explanatory, but I would have loved something like this when I first got married.  Our first year of marriage we ate a lot of potato puffs and chicken breasts cooked on the foreman (George Foreman Grill) because that was pretty much all I could cook.  Over the years I've been pretty much learning as I go, and calling my parents for recipes and help a lot.

Crock-pot BBQ Chicken:

Ingredients:
-2-3 lbs chicken
-1 Cup Water
-BBQ Sauce, enough to cover chicken


Place chicken in the crock pot, add water.  Cook on high about 4 hours or low for about 6 hours or until chicken is done at 165 degrees.  Half way through remove most of water and add BBQ sauce until it covers the chicken well.  Cook until chicken is done, then enjoy!


When I made this I didn't decide to make it until about 2:30pm that day.  I grabbed some drumsticks I had in the freezer that I had gotten on sale super cheap.  I put a liner in my crock pot, although not necessary, I love them, they make clean up such a breeze!  I tossed my chicken in frozen, added 1 cup water, and set the crock pot to high.  It only took about 4 hours to cook.  Although still wicked yummy, it could have benefited a bit from cooking on low for longer.  After 2 hours I took out as much of the liquid in the crock pot as I could leaving only a little left in there and added my favorite BBQ sauce.  I tried this once with some cheap sauce I found on sale and it wasn't very good, so make sure you use a sauce that you know you really like.  Our favorite is Sticky Stuff made by Fatboy's, it's even made right here in Nebraska!  I let it cook another 2 hours, and it was pretty much perfect.  I pulled the chicken out, removed the bones, and then using two forks I shredded the chicken.  After it was all shredded I put it back in the crock pot and mixed it in the with sauce well.  I kept the crock pot on warm and we had our shredded bbq chicken on sandwiches with salad and bbq beans.  It was a hit with everyone.     






No comments:

Post a Comment