Sunday, August 19, 2012

18 Month Check Up


The last weekend in July I took Friday off and enjoyed a nice long weekend.  Friday we all went up to Omaha to see the Dr. (s).  I made four appointments back to back and hoped that my Dr.’s weren’t too delayed.  We go to a small office in a new addition at one of the area hospitals.  I know my OB is always late, so I scheduled her appointment last.  All four of us see one primary Dr. (who is amazing by the way) so when I schedule us multiple appointments (3 that day), they usually just put us in the big exam room together and see us all at once.  Thankfully everything went as planned and I made my second appointment with my OB on time (yay).    

 The boys were there for their 18 month check-up.  They are doing well; Owynn is still slowly but surely gaining weight.  With everything that boy eats I’m amazed he doesn’t weigh more.  He normally eats more than Oliver, we just can’t figure out where he puts it all.  Owynn is 21lbs 16oz and 30 ½ inches long (he’s 2 & ½ feet tall!) Oliver is now putting good distance between himself and Owynn at 24lbs 13oz and 31 inches long.  If Oliver keeps growing at this pace he’s going to be fully in 2T clothes by Christmas.  My boys are getting too big too fast.  I did bring up to the Dr. that they aren’t really talking much yet.  From what I read this age is the time where they start picking up a lot more words and the really just aren’t.  The Dr. asked us if they “talk” to each other, and they do, A LOT.  He said because they are twins they essentially have their own language and can understand each other, so to them there really isn’t much need to be able to talk yet.  They boys say a few words, like Mommy, Daddy, all done, cheese, cracker, and some more they are working towards.  The Dr. told us not to worry, they are “talking” to each other and they understand pretty much everything we say to them, they will talk eventually.  And if for some reason they haven’t started talking much more by their birthday, we will talk about it some more then.  Owynn didn’t handle the visit very well; he cried the whole time the Dr. was looking at him.  Oliver on the other hand did amazing, not only did he not make a peep, he actually toddled over to the Dr. and asked to be picked up.  He sat like such a good little boy on our Dr.’s knee while I was talking to him about my stomach stuff. 
My stomach is still being stupid, but lately it’s been a little less so.  I’m still getting motion sickness way more than I should, but I haven’t had a random episode recently.  Since all my tests have come back normal so far he is going to try me on a new acid reflux medication and see how I do.  I also saw my OB who gave me the green light on another pregnancy whenever we are ready.  That didn’t really do much to help my baby fever, which I still have and still needs to go away. 
After our appointments we went out to lunch at this really yummy sandwich shop called Which Wich.  We shouldn’t have spent the money on lunch out, but after a day spent at the dr. and the stress of everything that has been going on lately, I decided we needed it. 

Every time we go back up to Omaha I find myself missing our little suburb we used to live in more and more.  Even though it’s about 45-60 minutes from our family and friends, it is such a nice town.  It still has a small town feel even while developing quickly.  Eventually (several years from now) we will have to decide where we want to settle down (i.e.: buy a house, which we WILL make happen).  John pointed out to me yesterday that here a house costing $124,000 with a 30 year mortgage at a full percentage point above the current rate would cost approximately $596 a month before adding in any extras to the financing.  That pretty much blew my mind, why was I thinking we’d be paying like $1,000 a month for a home???  Here’s to hoping that in 5 years we will actually be looking at buying a home.

1 comment:

  1. The boys are getting so big! and so grown up!

    Boo! To you buying a house in Nebraska! :(

    ReplyDelete