Thursday, December 6, 2012

Recipe: Candied Chicken Breasts

The other night I made one of my favorite dinners, candied chicken breasts, mmmm...  I'm pretty sure the sauce and the frying negate all the healthy aspects of the chicken.  You can find the original recipe here.  After making this many many times I have made some changes to fit our family's tastes and this is how I make it.

Ingredients:
1 package of chicken (between 1 and 2 lbs, or 3 to 4 chicken breasts, it's usually kind of what ever I happen to have on hand.)
2 Cups dried bread crumbs (I usually never wind up using all the bread crumbs, so I cut it to 1 cup the other night and I didn't feel like it was quite enoughAlso I use the Italian flavored kind.)
1-2 Eggs mixed with a little bit of milk (to help make the bread crumbs stick to the chicken better, I like my chicken extra crispy.)
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (at this point I usually just eyeball it.)
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons black pepper  (again with the just eyeballing it.)
Vegetable oil (what ever you feel is enough to fry your chicken in, I always end up using more than I probably need to.)
Sliced pineapple rings (Used as a topper.  I never cook the pineapple with the chicken.  If I happen to have some on hand I'll stick it on top when the chicken is done.  I've made this with and without the pineapple and I don't think it really makes much of a difference.)

Sauce Ingredients:
1 & 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/4 cup prepared mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Onion powder to taste (I usually use a few tablespoonsful)
3/4 cup water


Directions:
1- Cut up chicken breasts into smaller chunks.
2- Mix together bread crumbs, flour, Italian seasoning, and black pepper.
3- Dip chicken into egg mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture.
4- Brown chicken on both sides then place in a baking dish
5- Mix together well the first 6 ingredients for the sauce, then mix in water.  
6- Over low heat bring sauce to a boil (it takes forever.)
7- Pour sauce over chicken
8- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 to 60 minutes. (Or until your chicken is cooked through.)

9- Let cool and enjoy, top with pineapple if you would like. 




I took this photo with my phone so it's not the greatest.  That plate is glass, you know, for the adult who can't stand having their foods touch. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment